Hello from Earth. George Dowell "Geo"

Post here once you join, and tell us about yourself so we have a clue who we are talking to.
Keep threads short here -- once you have something to say, there's a topic here somplace where it will fit -- and if not, let me know and I will make subforums as necessary. We want all of hard science and tech up here, and if something doesn't fit -- that's my fault and I will fix that for you. See the rules and tips in the parent forum, please.
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.
User avatar
George Dowell
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

Hello from Earth. George Dowell "Geo"

Post by George Dowell »

Hello to all.
I like to measure things.
http://www.qsl.net/k/k0ff//Capabilities/

I like to go places so I can measure things.

http://www.qsl.net/k/k0ff//Geo's%20Nucl ... 20Tourism/


I like to build apparatus to measure things with.

http://www.qsl.net/k/k0ff//Apparatus%20We%20Make/

I like volcanoes

http://www.qsl.net/k/k0ff//Geographic%20Landmarks/

I tend to be a hermit most of the time

http://www.qsl.net/k/k0ff//Southwind/


That's about it.

Geo
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: Hello from Earth. George Dowell "Geo"

Post by Doug Coulter »

Welcome, Geo! Don't you run a few groups about rad detection someplace? This would be a good place to put some links to those. I too like living a bit away from the crowds, and am called a hermit now and then. It's not so much that, it's more like I'm already in the garden of eden with a few nice people, why go anywhere else? Nice to be able to erect things like large antennas without hearing about it from someone who doesn't like it!

Very pretty place you've got there. I guess it's a lucky thing so few of us are smart that way, else our nice places would get crowded.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
User avatar
George Dowell
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Hello from Earth. George Dowell "Geo"

Post by George Dowell »

New members, here is a guide to the various lists and the purpose for each;




General Q+A, Chat about the venerable CDV-700 series, prospecting,general
theory, go to:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CDV700CLUB/


General Q+A, Chat about Geiger Counter extreme modifications, all other GC's
besides CDV-700's
advanced subjects, lab experiments:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Geig ... nthusiasts


Original, now closed but archived site:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Geig ... astsPAGE1/


Overflow FILES site:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/GCEpage3/


General Q+A, Chat about spectrum analysis:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/GammaSpectrometry/



General Q+A, Chat about scientific non-medical use of X-Rays and X-Ray machines
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/XRL


Tutorials, get-up-to-speed-fast theory articles ( NO CHAT, Read-only):

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeRadLab/


NeutronDet
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NeutronDet

This is a new sister group to GeigerCounterEnthusiasts Group,
specializing in information concerning the generation and/or
detection of Neutrons by any means

Tutorials on CDV Series REPAIRS

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CDVRepair




Thanks and
Have Fun

Moderator-George Dowell > Geo
GEOelectronics@netscape.com
Starfire
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: North Ireland

Re: Hello from Earth. George Dowell "Geo"

Post by Starfire »

Welcome George - much to contribute :)
User avatar
George Dowell
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Hello from Earth. George Dowell "Geo"

Post by George Dowell »

User avatar
George Dowell
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

I am an Entrepemanuer*

Post by George Dowell »

User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: Hello from Earth. George Dowell "Geo"

Post by Doug Coulter »

I like big antennas too, but usually mine get so big I can forget being able to turn them. Big stacked rhombics (FM DX) and big real low frequency inductors (for listening to earth's field) and things similar. Most SW comes barreling in so hot my little Ten Tec 320 has no problem, it's like there's no blank places on any band (except the broadcast band!). EG nice to live on a mountain.

We garden here, and starting with the square foot garden, now have a 50' by 50' or so one that we've put perhaps 6-8 tons of organic material on every year since about 1982. Oil isn't the only black gold! Since a few of my neighbors are "hobby horse" farmers, we've kept them in the dark about the worth of the product they seem to want to get rid of really bad. Some even give us spoiled hay along with it! While I've done some time at composting, what we now do is a bit simpler -- use the raw materials as mulch, very thick. Yup we have weeds that way, but...no work and the stuff assimilates into the soil fine, just takes longer. I put an electric fence up around it, with one very low and one very high wire, charged with a 50 mile fence charger. The deer lose interest when they get *burned* by this, as do the groundhogs etc. It takes care of keeping that bottom wire clear with enough energy to just immolate the weeds that grow up to it. Only thing I've not overcome yet is the crows when we plant corn -- tried most of the stuff in the books and magazines. I even removed the screen off a window that faces the garden and keep a shotgun right there, but those guys are smart -- you can yell at them, they just caw at you. Point an unloaded gun at them, they just laugh. Raise a loaded one, and they are gone before you get it to eye level. So we don't do much corn here...but broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, herbs, beans, asparagus, potatoes, onions and the very finest hot peppers, yeah -- we usually can a lot and then have plenty to donate as well. There are times around here where you have to hide to avoid getting a truckload of someones spare zucchini and so on.

We have a lot of wildlife here too. Deer, ducks, foxes, raccoons, a few bears we don't see often, all kinds of little stuff like squirrels and rabbits and rodents. Mostly we just look at one another, it's just that kind of place, though my neighbors do hunt the place and we get some meat from that. Right now, a fat raccoon that's been stealing the cat food (dish and all!) to the amazement of the cats (they just watch them wash the food in the water dish) is on my short list of those who shall become head wear. I've always wanted a coonskin hat, but those guys are smart, and fast, so no luck yet on that. I have a lot of woods, and there's a place to get some super nice soil for flower gardening, which my wife does. That frass inside a rotting tree from the ants -- super for flowers that like acid and nitrogen. Or just skim a bit off the forest floor in a good spot. There's plenty to do that without harming anything out there, at least for our needs.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
User avatar
George Dowell
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:27 am

I am Outstanding in my Field.

Post by George Dowell »

One way to become Outstanding in your Field.

( get it: out standing in your field?)

Become a farmer/gardner.


I like to dig in the dirt.

http://www.qsl.net/k/k0ff//Soil%20Scien ... /Badge.jpg


Look for me in the NUCLEAR subcategory most of the time.
Geo
Last edited by George Dowell on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnf
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Hello from Earth. George Dowell "Geo"

Post by johnf »

Nice one Geo

I'm also a ham ZL2TUD with a vanity call of ZL2XRF
occasionly on 20m mostly on 80m using a nonreasonant windom 54m total length with 1:1 current Balun on all bands with TS440S
User avatar
Bill Fain
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:23 am

Re: Hello from Earth. George Dowell "Geo"

Post by Bill Fain »

George, Welcome. Thanks, for both the good info you have posted in the past on your sites, and for the great Ebay deals you have offered. You have a great location. Have you measured the wind speed on your tower? Just wondering if you could sustain a windmill. 73's -bill N4LMQ
Post Reply