Thanks a bunch! My SciHub link broke...(this is normal, they have to move now and then) and I didn't think of it. I did ask Physics Today for permission - maybe a mistake, and they may insist I pull these down. So you guys know the drill...
When pondering an especially difficult problem - measuring the ion induced reactance and resonance width vs pressure in my cage geometry driven as an ion trap (relaxed mass spectrometer) - which looks like it'll be about like telling the difference between two flies flying aound in a room in a skyscraper - and 2 flies fighting, while only being able to jack up a corner of the building and put a scale under it (in the wind, of course) - I do something else distracting. As my friend and fellow programming magazine contributor Paul diLascia used to say "when I have a hard problem and can't find the approach that feels right, I mow my lawn - and then I know how to proceed". We used to joke that we had some very finely manicured lawns....
In this case, I'd been building up some parts for Swedish Mauser (6.5mmx55), and was having trouble getting what I thought of as the second best (certainly the 2nd most expensive) Douglas barrel to "shoot" - the real meaning of gun control - hit what you aim at, and only that. I had a collection of parts for this round laying around as I was kind of doing the "try everything" approach, thinking of possibly competing in class F long range shooting....health and other issues probably stopped that, but it'd be nice to have the good rifles for sale if nothing else.
I had a rusty old A&B barrel of heavy contour in the pile, rotting away. Well, that won't do, so I decided to thread and chamber it for my test harness action and give it a go, despite some rust also inside the bore. Not a lot - but I considered chopping off a couple inches at the end, which would have made it a bit shorter but still fine for benchresty kinds of uses (20 to 22" depending on how you measure).
The A&B barrel blanks were from MidwayUSA as their "economy" brand when I got them. I also got a Shilen - it's real good, and another A&B, lighter profile, pretty good, and a Kreiger - full bull, 5r fast twist, likely VERY Good (definitely very expensive...) but I've not machined that last yet - waiting for another action and a stock I don't mind really carving up for a barrel that's 1.4" diameter - end to end.
This one shoots the best of those yet tried. After that is the Shilen, and after that is the other A&B, and FAR FAR after that is the Douglas. Some of this is almost certainly my own variability and that of the stocks and actions (all of which I've worked over, but you know how it is). I'm going to keep messing with the one that stinks, just out of curiosity. It looks reasonable in the borescope...maybe some big void in the metal I can't see or some weird vibration mode? It's always good to learn things!
I didn't cut it yet (and may not!) - stay tuned for a long video about the whole process - how I do it on my affordable tools (no fancy CNC or flood pressure cooling during reaming and so on, just the home gamer stuff). But this one - like another cheap A&B I also have - shoots, and I'm frankly amazed, as this is with cast bullets, used brass...and the picture of the first 8 shots from it at 70 yards looks like this:

- First 8 break-in shots. Lower left is with boresight, bullseye is after adjusting scope a little.
For the first 3 shots I was aiming at the staple at the bottom (one shot had gone over the target before this). The second 5 - 3 in the same hole(!) were holding on the bull, on that shaky table with a bit of a pounding heart...I'll take it!

- The shooter end. Flimsy table but...

- Lube splash looks like this when you get the crown really right.

- The round - cast bullet, reduced load, around 1700 fps 17 grains IMR 4227, 140gr cast bullet with gas check, lee liquid alox lube, 2,87 OAL "pretty deep in the lands". Norma brass - lightest and softest brand I had in stock.
There WILL be a rather long video at some point - if nothing else, I'm not done thinking and I need to justify the killer computer I built to ... edit videos --- (and play chess).
It's going to take some editing - It's about 35 3 minute shorts, 20 or so stills, and at that it's already condensed from 3 days worth of "spare time run". It's going to take some editing.