There's no telling about causes of cancer, to be sure. I don't have the family history of some of this, but indeed, I did a lot of things known to cause DNA damage "in the day" so...it's just a factor in a guess - I did use qualifiers on purpose, and it's not the only factor in that guess. I'm hopeful I will continue to be "hard to kill" as has been the case so far, I'm not dwelling on it much, though the medical system scares me a little bit.
Example is the pulmo guy wanting to "go right in" to look at the thing in the lung, ordering a further PET scan to get a better look at it - and in the process having to have a heart monitor put on by the cardiologist guy (due to the main complaint) removed to get the picture, which then shows other issues down in my gut - so far, it's like astronomy - every new observational capability has shown new stuff, and it's all bad (in this field, they're not looking for good stuff)...The specialists all not talking (despite in some cases sharing the same office suite - literally the same receptionists) and all calling all this stuff suddenly a major issue when I went in for chest pain in the first place...it's a little daunting and I'm having to be my own patient advocate, using a little more ... forcefulness ... than I think should be required, but such is the deal one sometimes gets in life, and I'm not the first, I'm sure. But yeah, having the cardio guy tell me to tell the pulmo guy to wait because what he wants to do might kill me on the table due to the heart issues - sigh.
At least the stuff cut off my skin has not returned, as far as I know (I do have family history on that one).
You are certainly correct in that simple old age is a factor, and IMO, not completely a bad one. I say that as I've watched progress in the field my whole life, and having all this stuff show bad all of a sudden not that many years ago would be a certain, short term, death sentence - now a lot of people survive these things. Finding them early is better, but wasn't enough most of the time in the past. So - living long enough for medicine to progress has been a good thing!
Meanwhile, and considerably more fun - I've spent the past few good days improving my lathe. A feature I didn't pay for or get (horrible fright ... not a surprise ) was adjustable gibs on the main saddle. This showed up as the saddle kicking back toward the operator a bit, sliding up on the inverted V part of the ways, when sudden pressure was applied back toward the operator by the tool entering the cut - very visible at the start of threading, or in the current case, attempting to make a broach out of semi-annealed O1 tool steel. I have some video of it, it was visible.
Here,you can see the whole main saddle jump back when the tool enters the cut while threading a barrel. No blood, no foul on this project, but this is the one I got video of, so...here it is.
https://youtu.be/RmNKIjr6LG8?t=54
That jump is what I think I've just fixed by modifying the saddle.
I downloaded a bunch of manuals for this generic copy of South bend item - Everyone sells a version it seems, but all others have some way of holding the saddle down to the ways and not allowing this shift under load that causes the saddle to "climb the V" slope.
So I tore the thing down - a challenge as none of the manuals I did manage to find actually show enough detail to make it obvious how to get the thing apart without bending stuff or really taking it to tiny pieces....
And added some stuff to prevent this motion. Where other versions had an adjustment - say "4 setscrews under the saddle bearing on the bottoms of the ways" kind of thing - here, those were omitted, and there was 20+ mils of motion allowed in the vertical plane on the front V, and 100 mils of horizontal motion towards the operator allowed by lack of any stop other than "size" on the back L of the bed ways. Here they just left a gap when they processed the casting so things wouldn't bind, and were done with it. Now I've added pads and setscrews to set the clearances on both front and back, all adjustable in case it seems I'm over-controlling things - and in limited tests (just got this done some hours ago) finding that they did do a decent job machining the basic ways, and with all the adjustments now added, and tight, the main saddle moves nicely with no binding...and it's probably going to be as if I'd bought the roughly thousand dollar more expensive version from Jet now. I used brass where things slide on cast iron and there are now neat little tracks of brass deposited from a few back and forth passes testing the adjustments, and it feels "right" so I'm hopeful - I'll get some real testing in on some now ruined stock - O1 can be hard to cut - it wants to rub until a lot of force is applied, then the tool digs in - before I wreck any more of that stuff - the same operations in 12l14 or even 1018 were no problem. The poor man's DRO I'd added to the Z axis of the mill made it possible to create nice accurate pockets for some bits of brass I had left over from an old diffusion pump project...seems the shop is getting to critical mass on tools and stock, and that's happy-making. I plan to put a link here to a post I have yet to make on all that - I got pictures, it really happened...Lathe improvement project:
http://www.coultersmithing.com/forums/v ... =35&t=1175.
Still have that new-to-me old man issue with having to get up in the night - dunno if this gets posting times correct, but for me, it's 4:40 AM after having slept since midnight...waiting to get tired again so I can go back to bed. Gheesh. Seems better than adding another drug or drugs to the lengthening list, just wait awhile and get sleepy again.