Page 1 of 1

Hi from Connecticut!

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:24 pm
by Daniel Nield
Hey everybody! I'm Dan, and it's great to be here. Many thanks to our gracious host for turning registration back on! Saw the video on Motherboard a couple days ago, and said to myself: "Huh. I really dig what this dude is all about..." which is how I wound up here.

About me: I am a former USAF Munitions troop, former class III electronics assembly tech, former postmaster for zip code 58626, former network management tech at ESPN, CURRENT full-time stay-at-home dad (best job ever), and while I don't quite have the experience under my belt to be able to also call myself a philosopher king, I'm willing to settle for prince regent. Or maybe a viscount. I don't know, I'm not quite sure of the protocol here...

Anyway! I am addicted to learning new skills, and love to be surrounded by subject-matter experts (by that I mean anyone who knows more than me) so hopefully I'll get the opportunity to ask you guys some intelligent questions.

Thanks for having me on board!

-Dan

Re: Hi from Connecticut!

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:38 pm
by Doug Coulter
Welcome, Dan, glad to have you on board. I'm only getting about 12-14 new people signed up per session, as the bots are sneaking past me when I allow new members, and then we mods have to spend time ID'ing and then killing them. They usually have a short attention span, so when the count of them hitting me drops, I'll be adding more members - we got a completely silly number of requests, or maybe, a fantastic number - we'll find out! If you have something you want to share and can't seem to find a place it fits, let me know and I might even create a new sub-forum if we don't have the right one already. We are sort of trying to "Write the book" here - though it's only an attempt, rather than "stream of conciousness" which is well served elsewhere anyway. The idea is to create a resource for all to learn from - if they didn't teach it in school or already cover it well enough elsewhere on the web.