Bite the Billet

Tips and descriptions of materials you use
Post Reply
Jerry
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:07 am
Location: Beaverton, OR

Bite the Billet

Post by Jerry »

bil·let 2 (blt)
n.
1. A short, thick piece of wood, especially one used as firewood.
2. One of a series of regularly spaced, log-shaped segments used horizontally as ornamentation in the moldings of Norman architecture.
3.
a. A small, usually rectangular bar of iron or steel in an intermediate stage of manufacture.
b. A small ingot of nonferrous metal.
4.
a. The part of a harness strap that passes through a buckle.
b. A loop or pocket for securing the end of a buckled harness strap.
Billet is a tem used to describe a chunk of metal in a foundry that will be formed into the final product. More specifically it is what is formed from an ingot. A billet, in general, never leaves the foundry. "Made from Billet Aluminum" is a marketers creation. If you are machining something you are machining from solid or bar stock but that just does not have the same ring to it...
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

Re: Bite the Billet

Post by Doug Coulter »

Right -- those marketing guys sure go nuts with things like that. And what's funny -- the closer to "true billet" it is, probably the less uniform and good it is too; porous on top, non uniform freeze rate in the mold, all that -- all that rolling and forming seems to improve the basic stock some. Could just be they take more trouble with the expensive stuff, dunno, but like you said, a random chunk of hardware store stuff may not be worth wasting tool life on. I know I learned my lesson on it.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
User avatar
Joe Jarski
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: SouthEast Michigan

Re: Bite the Billet

Post by Joe Jarski »

I like this post! I wonder why they don't use bloom & slab for marketing. I suppose that "Made from bloom aluminum" or "Machined from solid slab" just doesn't sound as cool as billet. Another one I like is the use of "alloy" when referring to aluminum... "I have alloy wheels on my car" or should I say "rims"? Guess what... almost every piece of metal on your car is "alloy"!
Post Reply