Of course, a cheap source of HPGe detectors would be nice to go with it!
Wind, Mobile Rad Lab, Home Rad Lab etc.
- Joe Jarski
- Posts: 231
- Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 pm
- Location: SouthEast Michigan
Re: Wind, Mobile Rad Lab, Home Rad Lab etc.
For the cryo stuff, you need to build yourself one of these... DIY LN2 Generator. Somewhere in there he says that it'll make about a liter a liter a day for $1.15 - now if we can just get Bill to track down a cheap source of those Stirling cryo coolers.
Of course, a cheap source of HPGe detectors would be nice to go with it!
Of course, a cheap source of HPGe detectors would be nice to go with it!
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: Wind, Mobile Rad Lab, Home Rad Lab etc.
Believe it or not, we've seen them on ebay not super high, but just didn't bite because of the no cryo problem. I think you'd need more than a liter a day to run one, but I have no real experience.
Evidently, cooling from room temp is a slow process, and has to be for some reason (like don't break it?). At any rate, it might take a bunch just to get there, then more to keep it there. We'd have to ask someone who uses one I guess.
Evidently, cooling from room temp is a slow process, and has to be for some reason (like don't break it?). At any rate, it might take a bunch just to get there, then more to keep it there. We'd have to ask someone who uses one I guess.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.