New logo
Forum rules
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.
Here, you can discuss anything (well, anything legal and not offensive) you want to. Use this for gassing about any half-baked theories, general getting to know one another, and other things that as someone once said, should be forgotten after awhile. This sub forum is set to auto-remove threads that haven't been posted on for a couple weeks, emptied like the office trash can. Almost anything goes here, the idea being to keep the other forums and threads more on topic but in a maximally friendly way. If anything actually worthwhile should wind up here, let me know and I will make it immune from being removed.
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
New logo
I know it stinks -- comments?
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Re: New logo
tis a wee bit green
Re: New logo
The only other issue to it being green is that it is a bit black. Take out the green and black and we'll go from there.... 
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: New logo
I'll see what I can do. I got caught up in this style in "the gimp" editor -- the green are supposed to be particle tracks....I'll see what tweaking I can do, looks as though I could have gone a bit taller as well. It picked up some artifacts when I made the background transparent (imperfectly) -- else it's in a white box -- truly ugly then.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: New logo
After some trying....well, it still stinks. Does anyone know where I go on PHBB to reserve the size space this shows up in? If I use a long word like Coulter's (which itself isn't settled on) then it gets shrunk horizontally on my browser so it looks nasty from that too. If I had a bit more room (and more suggestions) maybe I can get something nice here. No, we won't do Googles pacman or dancing balls....most colors do look a bit funky on blue background -- red would probably be even worse (and how to change that?) .... but that one that came with the board was pretty lame too.
Sigh, this isn't my expertise.
Sigh, this isn't my expertise.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Re: New logo
So, no less black, but more green. 
How about you have 'Coulter's' in a nice plain font, with the 'o' being your cylindrical fusor with its signature 6-beams coming out of it, two of which cut the name down the middle, with little glows or bifurcations at one or each end?
How about you have 'Coulter's' in a nice plain font, with the 'o' being your cylindrical fusor with its signature 6-beams coming out of it, two of which cut the name down the middle, with little glows or bifurcations at one or each end?
Last edited by chrismb on Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: New logo
Sounds good to me if I can figure out how....I'm an amateur at drawing either on paper or computers....
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: New logo
Yup, it is. Need to get on that in a spare moment.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
- JonathanH13
- Posts: 53
- Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 pm
- Contact:
Re: New logo
How about a 'Wood&Water' logo? I know it's not really physics, but it kinda fits with where you live...
I can knock together a high-tech 'fusor' style logo, if you prefer.
With respect to resizing the width, I'm a bit outta my depth here, and I'm not sure if this applies to the phpbb version that you are using, but try this:
Open templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl
Go to line 227 and change the width from 100% to whatever you want.
Acceptable values would be any percentage or a fixed number of pixels.
If that does not make sense, let me know and I will dig deeper
I can knock together a high-tech 'fusor' style logo, if you prefer.
With respect to resizing the width, I'm a bit outta my depth here, and I'm not sure if this applies to the phpbb version that you are using, but try this:
Open templates/subSilver/overall_header.tpl
Go to line 227 and change the width from 100% to whatever you want.
Acceptable values would be any percentage or a fixed number of pixels.
If that does not make sense, let me know and I will dig deeper