Hello, A few disclaimers about myself first. One I have adhd and two my hobby is going though hobbies. I also take a lot of audio courses on anything. Even stuff I don't like.
One of the few consistent hobbies I have had though out the years is electronics, Tesla coils and home made radio stations as a kid. Botched attempt at an arc welder BTW My brother found a u tube video on the subject last year for me and that is something he brings up to his endless sadistic sibling delight But I give it to him too So most likely I have it coming.
I'm not a car person, But once when I was 14 I was told by my parents If I fixed the van I could have it, Summer of my 15th birthday my brother,sister and I had managed to pull the engine and put a new one in I am not going to go in to how much beg/steal/barrow went into this, But the engine was a gift from someone who put a new one in his truck And a swingset and a block and tackle was instrumental in this process. I love flea-markets. And with a stupid amount of questions to anyone who was anything on the subject we managed to get that bad boy started....My mother loved her van back to btw.
In highschool I went to a vo-tech for electronics technology, My instructors favorite words were "Moody help So and so, whatever grade they get you get" Lots of good memories there, And I love that man now, But at the time I use to think he was a blight from the black abyss sent to make my life a tragic playwright of Homeric proportions.
I did a hitch in the navy as an aviation electronics technician "A" school was allot of fun and I had some good times after that.
In 2006 I went back to school at one of the few places that would take the GI bill then from a student who had been out of academics for more then a decade ( 2 year degree, but most of the places I was looking at for employment told me get that at least and we can help you), Had a lot of fun there and got almost to the end of the course when I discovered that I did not know how to study....Did I mention I love my shop teacher from Vo-Tech? My instructor in class found the situation quite entertaining as well.
From there I ended up employed at an Army Depot. Loved the work but ended up leaving there due to a disability retirement (That could of been avoided)
At the moment I am in the process of Learning 3d Modeling in blender (some game making stuff in unity as well, but that is more on the backburner atm)
Greetings from Central Pa
Forum rules
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.
This sub forum is for new menbers to announce themselves. Try not to create long threads here -- this is just for you to tell us who you are, and for us to say welcome. There are other forums to actually discuss real tech-science things here, and ask questions on. The idea hopefully is to have enough forums and subforums that nothing sci-tech related will be off-topic, there will be a place for it. If I missed something -- let me know, and I'll fix that.
-
Donovan Ready
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:22 pm
- Location: Austin, Texas
Re: Greetings from Central Pa
Morning, Joseph. If you're into 3D, you might want to have a look at http://www.metalbot.org/
I admin there, and these guys are serious about open source laser sintering/3D printing.
I admin there, and these guys are serious about open source laser sintering/3D printing.
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: Greetings from Central Pa
Jerry has done some of this kind of thing here - I bet he'd be really interested in that, since he has both the skills and the gear to do it himself. He's done some amazing things.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
-
Joseph Moody
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:05 pm
Re: Greetings from Central Pa
Metalbot has made the queue, My current focus has been learning blender and unity with an eye at indie game making and indie movie production. But I have read about blender plug in's for exporting to 3d printers. I am going to keep an educated eye open now for this subject.
Although right now my current hiccup in blender I been dealing with is rigging and animation. Easy to do and hard to do right.
Although right now my current hiccup in blender I been dealing with is rigging and animation. Easy to do and hard to do right.
- Doug Coulter
- Posts: 3515
- Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
- Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
- Contact:
Re: Greetings from Central Pa
One of the guys I frequently hang out with on G+ is Ron Hicks - he's a great artist and working a lot with Blender, and a nice person on top. If you find him there, talk to him, he'll help you.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.