SLAC construction, 1967

Various things to make charged particles fly
Post Reply
User avatar
Doug Coulter
Posts: 3515
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Location: Floyd county, VA, USA
Contact:

SLAC construction, 1967

Post by Doug Coulter »

I dunno, but having read Kohl's vacuum books, which touched on this, I found this fascinating. This combines all of precision machining, control, vacuum tech...pretty nifty stuff. Took some real OCD types to get things this fine. I was a little surprised initially in the fact that the individual cavities weren't made the same dimensions or tuned identically, but it makes sense in hindsight as the electrons in the beam alter things a bit as they proceed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMgMNlgkqIY


Some pretty fancy tooling for the day. Nice jigs, baby.
Posting as just me, not as the forum owner. Everything I say is "in my opinion" and YMMV -- which should go for everyone without saying.
Post Reply